The Walking Dead Episode 11: “Knots Untie”
A recap and review of The Walking Dead Ep. 11: “Knots Untie”
(photo courtesy of amctv.com)
Sullywood Rating: 8.5/10
What We Learned:
- Abraham and Sasha continue to build some good chemistry….and as I typed that, we see he’s back in bed with Rosita
- It’s apparent that the rations of Alexandria are dwindling
- Jesus sits down with our survivors and explains that he’s a part of a community a lot like Alexandria. His job is to seek out other colonies to trade with
- Carl seems okay with the Rick and Michonne thing
- Michonne, Rick, Abraham, Daryl, Glenn, and Maggie go with Jesus to see his home
- We learn a new metaphor for making babies, thanks to Abraham:
- While driving to their destination, the group notices a crash. They go investigate and Jesus mentions that they are his people. The group enters a building looking for Jesus’s people…..although deep down isn’t everyone Jesus’s people…..:) They find some survivors and they climb aboard our favorite RV
- The group arrives at Jesus’s home, the Hilltop Colony, complete with it’s own theme music:
- We meet Gregory, who is in charge of Hilltop, and who seems like kind of a prick
- Maggie sits down with Gregory to negotiate trade. It doesn’t go so well due to Gregory believing that the people of Alexandria have nothing to trade
- A small group of Hilltop people come back, Gregory questions where the rest of the group is, one of them mentions that they are dead. Gregory asks if it was Negan and the man replies yes. Gregory is confused because they had a deal; the man asks if the drop or trade was light. He then walks up to Gregory, apologizes, and then stabs him.
- A fight ensues with Rick and group winning and Rick ending up with blood….all over his face…….again. For the umpteenth time in this episode Jesus plays the peace keeper
- All episode long we’ve seen Abraham in deep thought, mainly about what’s important or if things should be important to him in this new world. After almost getting choked to death in the fight, he seems to have had an epiphany:
- Gregory survives the stabbing. Jesus tells us and the group the tale of Negan. Negan is the head of a group called the Saviors. Jesus explains that once the walls went up in the colony, Negan’s men showed up and demanded half of everything, and in exchange they get to live. Daryl proposes a new deal; they kill Negan and get some food and supplies from them.
- Maggie meets with Gregory again, this time getting the better of him. She wants the same deal Negan gets, Gregory accepts.
For all of the episodes we’ve had to endure over the past year and a half that were….let’s just say sub par….the show runners are truly making up for it with the second half of season six. Since The Walking Dead returned, every episode has been fantastic, with “Knots Untie” being without exception.
I am digging all over this Jesus character, especially every time someone says his name. Anybody else crack up when the guy screamed his name from the top of the wall? “JESUS, what are you doing?” I can’t ever tell if they are talking to him or just pissed about something.
Maggie showed glimpses of leadership in the past, and we all know Deanna thought of her as a successor to her. This week though, it all came full circle with her negotiations with that prick Gregory. She wasn’t hasty in the first discussion, and she was equally as ruthless in the second conversation.
The bringing along and build up of the Negan character has been top notch. I already know bits and pieces that happen in the comics, and it still seems like I’m anticipating Christmas morning.
With the addition of the Hilltop Colony, we’ve now experienced a game changer for the series. We’re not just limited to our favorite group of survivors’ camp. We have other living communities to look in on and “Knots Untie” gave us our first glimpse into that next world. This direction is exactly what this show needed.
What did you think of our first look at the Hilltop Colony?
In case you missed our review of last week’s episode, click below to read: