The Walking Dead Episode 13: “The Same Boat”
A recap and review of The Walking Dead Ep. 13: “The Same Boat”
(photo courtesy of amctv.com)
Sullywood Rating: 8.5/10
What We Learned:
- We go back to last episode where we see how Maggie and Carol got taken by the Saviors. We see the ending of last episode through the point of view from the Saviors. Rick and the leader of the group, Paula, begin negotiating a trade….Carol and Maggie for the caught Savior, named Primo
- The Saviors take Carol and Maggie, with bags over their heads, to a safe house. They walked for a bit, and then took a car, even passed over a bridge, before getting to the safe house.
- While being tied up and gagged, Carol begins wildly breathing. Carol informs the Saviors that Maggie is pregnant. One of the Saviors, who was shot by Carol, is getting worse and angrier. He goes to attack Carol, but Maggie jumps in, but not before Paula jumps in and knocks him out.
- Another member of the Saviors takes Maggie into another room in order to find out where their base is.
- Carol talks with Paula and another Savior woman about the situation. While discussing who Negan is, the older Savior woman says that “We are all Negan”. Paula continues to assume that Carol is weak and pathetic.
- Rick and Paula agree to the trade. Paula is very skeptical. They leave Carol alone and she is able to get free. Carol is able find Maggie and frees her. Maggie wants to take them out whereas Carol seems to be someone against that idea. They go back to the room where the male Savior has turned. They tie him up and use him to bight the older woman Savior.
- Paula eventually makes her way to Carol and Maggie, but it doesn’t end well for her as they shoot her and then she gets “walkered.” The other group of Saviors that were coming to the aid to the shot gentleman radio in and Carol pretends to be Paula and tells them to come, where a fiery trap awaits them and they die
- Carol and Maggie make their way out where they are reunited with our group. Rick brings Primo into the safe house and asks him one more time how he got the bike. Rick didn’t care for Primo’s answers and shoots him. Carol looks on, visibly shaken.
I always find these episodes fascinating where we get to see the full point of view from people outside of our group, and “The Same Boat” was no different. The banter and strategizing by the Saviors was great TV. I really enjoyed watching the Paula character as well, even though she didn’t last long.
The “We are all Negan” phrase and consistent belief by the Saviors will prove to be quite interesting in the future. They seem to almost be brainwashed, but what do you expect from people that are in a group called the “Saviors”.
I don’t know how I feel about Carol’s inner demons that appeared in this episode. She seemed to have herself figured out as far as needing to do what needs to be done. But “The Same Boat” seems to have left her more confused than ever. While I would certainly understand her wrestling with her emotions a few seasons ago, I find the constant back and forth rather annoying and that it’s being again explored at this point in this series.
Every time it appears that Negan’s crew has gotten the better of Rick’s crew, the script flips back and Rick and company come out on top. I’m not sure if this is going to give them a false sense of superiority over the Saviors, but we all know that this winning streak won’t continue.
Should Carol explore going over to the Morgan side, or be smart and live by sticking with Rick’s life motto?
In case you missed our review of last week’s episode, click below to read: